Sunday, August 5, 2007

August 5 2007 (Sunday)

Hi everyone,
Today is Sunday, which means its Mass day. So I woke up early, got prepared, and headed off for St. Monica's to give my talks.
I liked St. Monica's, especially the priest there. When I first met him, I asked him if he was Father Raymond (which was what was indicated on our sheet). He said that he wasn't, that he was Father Bertelli. So I asked him if this was the first time at the parish... assuming the other priest was away. But he replied, laughing, that he was pastor there for 40 years!
He was a nice old Italian priest, and invited me for breakfast after morning Mass.
After the 8:30 and 11:00am Mass, Greg picked me up, and then we went to pick up Ben at his parish. I had to go looking for him, and found him enjoying himself outside the church where parishioners were having a "carnival" to raise founds for a group going to WYD. Afterwards, us three went to visit St. Peter's, which was a minor basilica which is actually constructed after the design of St. Peter's in Rome, except 1/3 the size. But still, it was so large and so beautiful. All along the walls were painted Saints, hundreds of them, in succession. It was neat. Among others were Brother Andre, the Canadian Martyrs, and St. Lawrence O'Toole (a distant relative perhaps?)
Tonight Father is treating us to a BBQ. Tomorrow, we are staying another day in Montreal (taking a much needed day off), for two reasons: the distance back to Ottawa, our next stop, is only 200km away, and reason number two, is that its Cyril's birthday. So we will hopefully get more time to visit churches and such things as this.
Tomorrow we are also having another walker joining us for a week. It'll be interesting to have a new walker, shake things up a bit.
We start walking again on Monday night I believe. We are going to be walking more than just the 200 km to Ottoawa, as we are walking 4 full days... where to, Cyril has yet to tell us. I'm curious to know where he will take us...

No comments: