Saturday, June 16, 2007

Saturday June 16

Hi all,
A little bit of an update: today, Saturday, we kept ourselves busy. In the morning, we left to pray outside the Saskatoon hospital where they perform abortions. We stood on the sidewalk just outside the hospital. Things went well, although we didn't receive as much attention as we did last week outside the abortion clinic in Calgary (not too many people drove by). Afterwards, we went to meet with Bishop Albert at 2:30. We basically told him what we were doing - he was very supportive. Supposedly he had seen us already walking as he was driving late at night, so we already had our introduction... Anyway, later on we just went to gave a talk at St. Ann's parish, where we were well received.
Well, I want to give you some stories from the road to keep you all entertained... so in this spirit I will recount one particular night a couple nights ago. On Wednsday night this week I had an interesting experience. I had just dropped off the other walker, Ben, and had driven 8 km ahead, and then settled down in my little bed (now that we have the van as a support vehicle, we have the option of putting down some of the seats and laying the sleeping bag out on the floor). Before you knew it I was out. Then some 1 hour later, I woke up in a panic, confused about where exactly I was and I was thinking that I had not driven up 8km for Ben. I then proceeded to get dressed and turned on the van and started driving down the road as quickly as I could. A few kilometers went by and I slowly realized that I had already driven up, and furthermore, that I had only been asleep for an hour! I drove back and went back to sleep. Later on that night I also had some interesting dreams... dreams like that the other walkers all walked on ahead without me while I was resting, and dreams of crowds of pro-choice people getting angry and kicking me out of school. Boy, some weird stuff happens at night! These stories are actually not uncommon - Ben told me that another girl had done the same exact thing I had done on another walk. I think it has something to do with forgetting what one does directly before going to sleep - leading one to believe that they havn't driven up 8 km. Thus, waking up in the night shift can be very interesting. Sometimes, you need the help of the other walker to point you in the direction which you are supposed to walk, having forgotten which way you parked the van. All this just adds to the fun of nightshift!
Thanks for reading my blog and I will update as soon as possible.
For life,
Etienne

3 comments:

mramos said...

Hi Etienne
I haven't left any comments on your previous blogs, but I've been reading them each week or two. I'm glad you're doing well and it sounds like you're holding up quite well under the circumstances.
If I may be honest with you, I don't really know what to think of your guys' walk across the country. One thing is for sure, I admire the tenacity that all of you have and the passion that you have that's driving you to continue on this seeming insurmountable journey. I don't think I would be quite so capable, to tell you the truth. Amazingly, maybe a couple of years ago, I would have been, but now, my stance on certain things has changed and the lines have been blurred for me. Regardless, I continue to wish you the best and hope that you will be kept safe. I'll be offering a prayer for you guys. For now, take care.

Mariana

Nancy O'Toole said...

Dear Etienne
I can't tell you how very proud we are to have you as part of our family.
It is really very interesting to be able to read your blogs about the daily happenings during the Pro-life walk across Canada. I must say though that I get a little worried when I hear about you being so sleep deprived and waking in confusion & then driving. Please be careful!
You and all the walkers are to be commended for your great determination & commitment to such a worthwhile cause. Eric says that you must be walking hand in hand with the Holy Spirit when you are out at night especially, all alone with only your rosary and prayers to keep you company. May God keep you healthy and strong and able to carry on your mission. Our love & prayers go along with you all each and every day & night and may God bring you back home safe & sound having successfully attained what you set out to accomplish. We will be walking along with you in spirit as you wend your way across Canada and will follow your path through your blogs.
Much love from Nancy,(your Godmother) & Eric

cathy said...

Etienne! It's a bit eerie to find this old blog of yours online! Hope you don't mind that I read it a bit. (I found this particular entry amusing!) :) Thanks for doing this for the innocent unborn...it's an amazing, inspiring act for the rest of us. I pray, too, that the Pro-Life movement will continue to spread across Canada.

Cathy Uy